Two weeks ago we launched and finally got to break the news about the case. Since then, we've had:
- Almost 15,000 petition signatures
- 32 pieces of news coverage
- 1 million views on Mikaela's video announcing the case
On behalf of Mikaela, Jeremy and Karin, we want to thank you for all your support. The launch has exceeded expectations.
You’re probably wondering, what’s next?
Step 1: Applying for Judicial Review - Spring 2021
This is where it all begins! The three claimants, represented by Leigh Day, David Wolfe QC and Merrow Golden, have filed an application for judicial review of the Oil and Gas Authority's (OGA's) Strategy to the High Court. In the coming weeks, the government will submit its response to the application, which the claimants and their lawyers will review while they wait for the Court to decide whether or not to grant permission for their claim to proceed.
Step 2: Permission To Take The Case To Court - Summer 2021
Once the Court has reviewed the claimants' arguments and the defence, it will decide on whether or not Mikaela, Jeremy and Kairin receive permission to take the case to court. Basically, this is where we find out if the Court thinks the case has sufficient merit to be heard. We hope to know by the end of June whether permission is granted. If permission is denied, the claimants will have the option of appealing. If permission is granted, the claimants start to prepare for their day in court and the real work begins.
Step 3: Going to Court - Autumn 2021
If the claimants are granted permission, Kairin, Jeremy and Mikaela will be given the exact date that their case will be heard in the High Court. During the court hearing, both the defendants and the claimants will present their arguments and their evidence.
Step 4: Judgment - Winter 2022
Following the court proceedings, the claimants will await the court's decision. If successful, the High Court will declare the Oil and Gas Authority’s strategy unlawful--a huge win for the claimants, the climate, and all of us!
So, that’s the plan. Here’s how you can continue to support the claimants and make as much noise as possible.
- Sign the petition (UK residents only)
- Follow us @PaidToPollute on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Share and mention the claimants' #PaidToPollute case in your posts!
- Take a selfie holding a sign: “I support the #PaidToPollute case” and tag @PaidToPollute in your posts on social media
- Invite your friends to join the selfie action and follow @PaidtoPollute
- Donate to the case
- Sign up for the newsletter to stay informed about the case
Stay tuned for more! This is just the start of the campaign. Stay tuned for more. Keep an eye out for updates on social media and in your inboxes!
Let's make the polluter pays, not the other way around
- The Paid to Pollute Team, Mikaela, Kairin, and Jeremy